Food for thought while you spring clean your house & maybe even your body! In traditional medicine spring is the time to do a liver cleanse, start eating lighter foods and to get moving again…
How about removing plastic from your diet?
Research shows plastics are accumulating in the food chain via all those micro-plastics in the ocean that the fish eat and containers/wrapping we store our foods in. Chemicals in plastic act as Xeno-oestrogens & endocrine disruptors eg BPA (Bispenol A). As a simple example Xeno-estrogens have oestrogen-like actions imitating the normal action of oestrogen in your body. Excess oestrogen in the body can have vast health consequences including chronic inflammation and contributing to hormonal imbalance, especially important in women’s health in conditions such as PMS, ovarian cysts, fibroids, infertility.
How do you get plastic out of your food & body? A few ideas….
1. Avoid buying any food wrapped in plastic (It’s possible!)
2. Avoid buying anything bottled in plastic (especially oils)
3. DO NOT put plastic in the microwave –even if it says microwave safe. Use glass & cover with glass or a plate
4. DO NOT cover leftovers in gladwrap (Remember those beeswax wraps that are fashionable?)
5. Buy fish low on the food chain (eg salmon, sardines, mackerel)
6. Use glass food storage containers
7. Avoid anything that says it is BPA free-it still probably has BPS or BPF (from the Bisphenol family)
8. Enhance the detoxification pathways in your body
Just start one shopping trip at a time & use recycling. Start a garden or mini farm. Not only do you spring clean your body you can help spring clean the planet….less plastic and all its consequences in our environment and on human health.
Enjoy the fresh spring days & your detox!
Diana Coxhead Naturopath (Health Advocate, specialising in Womens Health & being human….)