HIDDEN DRIVERS OF AGING
Aging begins in the cell and occurs over the entire lifespan, it is one of life’s inevitable natural processes. It results from a multifactorial process, with poor dietary and lifestyle choices being the primary drivers. There are a number of other hidden determinants occurring internally, when they go unmanaged – the risk of developing age-related disease increases.
Oxidative stress occurs through chronic inflammation and is a key premature driver to the aging process.
Stress impacts on health in various ways. The 2 main hormones associated with stress are cortisol and DHEA-S, which are continuously secreted with long term chronic stress.
- Cortisol affects immune function, glucose regulation, vascular tone and bone metabolism. It is a natural anti-inflammatory, which can turn chronic if unmanaged. Consequences of unregulated cortisol include degenerate diseases, cardiovascular disease, cancer and diabetes.
- DHEA-S is the precursor for oestrogens and progesterone, and acts on the immune system. A decrease in DHEA caused by chronic stress can cause diseases such as osteoporosis, cardiovascular disease, Alzheimer’s, breast cancer, thyroid disease and diabetes (Find out more on Adrenal Hormone Profile testing here).
Hormonal imbalance ties in with the stress response. Chronic stress disrupts hormonal regulation, resulting in problems such as exacerbated menopause and andropause symptoms, adrenal exhaustion, auto-immune disease, thyroid disease, altered glucose tolerance and hypertension.
Mitochondria can be described as the power house of a cell, responsible for generating energy. Damage to the mitochondria impairs the ability to produce energy and affect’s the body’s natural detoxification process. Mitochondrial dysfunction increases oxidative stress and inflammation within the body, causing long term damage.
Inflammation is a major contributor to age related diseases. It serves as a bridge between normal aging and age-related disease. Chronic inflammation – lasting months through to years can result from:
- Failure to eliminate whatever was causing an acute inflammation
- An autoimmune response to a self-antigen (the immune system attacks healthy tissue, mistaking it for harmful pathogens).
- A chronic irritant of low intensity that persists
Achieving Vitality, Longevity & Healthy Aging
The Bio-Impedance Analysis program was developed to design a program specifically tailored to your needs. It provides you with ongoing support, motivation and inspiration to keep you on track to achieve your health goals. BIA was originally used to monitor patients after surgery in a hospital setting. It provides an insight into how much fat and muscle you have in your body, and to monitor your energy levels and cellular health.
- Track your changes and progress over time
- Stay on track with your health goals
- Manage your weight more effectively
- Age healthily
- Increase muscle tone and fitness
- Improve energy levels
- Support the nutrition and health of their body
For more information click here.