Nutrient-Dense Sunflower Seed Pesto
This is an easy recipe to make and have on hand in the fridge. Sunflower seeds are a great addition to the recipe. They increase protein, essential fatty acid and vitamin content. We love this recipe because it’s nutrient dense and something different from traditional pesto recipes!
- Pasta salad
- Add to felafels or meatballs for added flavor
- Use it on a pizza base
- Add to salad wraps
- Dip – served with veggie sticks
Makes 1/2 cup
- 2 cups mixed herbs (chives, oregano, tarragon, thyme)
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds (soaked overnight in water, drain and rinse)
- 1 large clove of garlic, peeled (2 small)
- 1/3 cup good olive oil + 1 -2 tsp to cover the top when jarred
- Pinch of salt
- Place herbs through garlic in a food processor and pulse a few times until blended well. Slowly add the 1/3 cup of olive oil while food processor is running. Blend until creamy and pesto comes together, add a pinch of salt and pulse a few times.
- Transfer to an airtight container, push pesto down to get rid of any air pockets (the air will turn the pesto brown). Prior to covering , add 1-2 tsp’s of additional olive oil to cover the top of the pesto.
- Store in the fridge and use within 3 weeks.
This recipe is from www.foodmatters.tv