Not quite the weather for a green smoothie – how about a green soup instead?
This is a low carb, nutrient dense green soup, great for everyone. The “magic” ingredient is watercress! Hippocrates used watercress back in 400BC for his hospital, Culpepper in the 1700s believed it could cleanse the blood, and modern science has identified 15 essential vitamins and minerals!? Combined with the other amazing ingredients, this soup is nothing but good for you!
Ingredients (makes 6 servings):
- 1 medium head cauliflower (400g)
- 1 medium onion (110g)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 150g watercress
- 200g fresh spinach or 220g frozen spinach
- 1 litre vegetable stock or bone broth or chicken stock
- 1 cup coconut milk (240ml) + 6 tbsp for garnish
- ¼ cup ghee or coconut oil
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt or to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- Optional: fresh herbs such as parsley or chives for garnish
- Peel and finely dice the onion and garlic. Place in a soup pot, greased with ghee and cook over a medium-high heat until slightly browned. Wash the spinach and watercress and set aside.
- Cut the cauliflower into small florets and place in the pot with browned onion. Add crumbled bay leaf. Cook for about 5 minutes and mix frequently.
- Add the spinach and watercress and cook until wilted for just about 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Cook until the cauliflower is crisp-tender and pour in coconut milk.
- Season with salt and pepper. Take off the heat and using a hand blender, pulse until smooth and creamy.
- Serve immediately or chill and keep refrigerated for up to 5 days. Freeze for longer. Just before serving, drizzle some coconut milk on top. Enjoy! 🙂